Friday 13 August 2010

Premier League 10/11 – a preview


Some predictions for the new season. Ridicule reserved until May 2011 please



So the new Premier League season is upon us tomorrow and I don’t know about anyone else, but it seems to have come up rather quickly. Personally, I’m still basking in the glow of England’s “8 out of 10” (Andy Townsend) friendly win against Hungary on Wednesday…

Like any self-respecting football blog, we have put together a few predictions for the season ahead. These come from Matt Snelling and myself, plus respected CollinsBeans contributor James Cowley. Comments, as always, are welcome.

James Cowley

Top 4
1. Manchester United
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Manchester City

Relegated
18. Wigan
19. Newcastle
20. Blackpool

FA Cup Winners: Chelsea

League Cup Winners: Tottenham

Top Goalscorer: Drogba

Player to Watch: Hernandez, Adam Johnson and Beckford, and then if they get their chances, Jack Wilshere and Martin Waghorn

The Manchester City Award for Over-Priced Signing of the Summer: Yaya Toure


Matt Snelling

Top 4
1. Chelsea
2. Manchester United
3. Arsenal
4. Manchester City

Not very controversial I know, but then the ‘best league in the world’ (TM Sky Sports) is not exactly known for its ability to spring surprises at the top of the table. There hasn’t been much significant transfer activity at either of last season’s top two, so it’s very hard to see much evidence for any suggestions that there will be a dramatic change in the way they finish. Chelsea have a slightly better squad than Manchester United, and as such (if there are no further arrivals before the close of the window) they should continue to stay just ahead. Manchester City are obviously the big wildcard but despite all the money spent they don’t look like a team ready to challenge. They’ve spent truckloads of cash but how many genuinely top class players do they have? I think they’ll squeeze into the top four by sheer force of dough, but that’s it.

Relegated
18. West Brom
19. Wigan
20. Blackpool

Again, I’m not exactly striking one for controversy here, as despite the tugging on your romantic heart strings, can anyone really see past Blackpool finishing rock bottom? I’m sure (and I’m aware I’m in full on patronising mode here) they will claim one or two unlikely scalps along the way, but their squad is wafer thin, and deeply short on class and you can also see a few 5, 6 or even 7 goal hammerings for them along the way. I’d love to be proved wrong, but I can’t quite see it.

I like Roberto Martinez, but his team really struggled last year, and unless he tightens them up at the back, then you can see another dismal goal difference being racked up. I know they’ve struck gold with some rather random diamonds in the rough from the farthest reaches of the globe, but some of the players in their squad look woefully inadequate to playing at the highest level (I’m looking at you Steve Gohouri) and I think this could be the season they fall back down the leagues. As for the final spot, I see this being a four way scrap between Blackburn, Newcastle and the West’s; Ham and Brom. Once again West Brom have spent sensibly in order not to bankrupt themselves (thus making them a shining beacon of austerity within the world of English football) but the result, I feel, will be the continuation of them yo-yoing between tiers one and two.

FA Cup Winners: Everton

Everton have a great manager, a really strong first choice line-up, a well-balanced squad, and have seemingly stopped their bad habits of losing to League 2 teams in the 3rd round. All that equals a well overdue big cup win.

League Cup Winners: Liverpool

The team that takes the League Cup notoriously seriously, I think this offers Liverpool their best hope for some silverware this season. Roy Hodgson is a fantastic manager, who seems in only a short time to have rebuilt some moral. As shown with his epic run to the Europa League final with Fulham ‘Uncle Woy’ knows all about how to orchestrate a good cup win. Liverpool to sneak past Arsenal’s under 17’s in a tense penalty shoot out decided final.

Top Goalscorer: Marouane Chamakh

He’s never been prolific in his career, but given the amount of chances Arsenal create (and usually waste) and their propensity to steamroller the smaller clubs at the Emirates, a decent outside bet to be top scorer.

Player to Watch: Michael Essien

Back from injury, and seemingly purring like a Rolls Royce if his impressive pre-season fixtures are anything to go by. Essien’s return is like a big new signing. With Ballack and Deco having departed a congested central midfield, now is Essien’s season to move out of a limiting ‘holding midfield’ role, into the dynamic, all action powerhouse we know he can be.

The Manchester City Award for Over-Priced Signing of the Summer: Chris Smalling

At least Manchester City should win something this year then. Yaya Toure, Jerome Boateng, Aleksandar Kolarov; they could all quite comfortably take home this award (although I think Kolarov will turn out to be a fairly decent player). This is a hard award to pick – so much crap, so many millions flitted away, I guess though, these things are all relative and so my nomination is a deal that was actually signed in January, but I’m claiming it now; Chris Smalling. Ask a lot of Fulham fans and they’ll tell you he played a couple of excellent games, Man Utd steam in with a bid of £10 million or so, sign the player and keep him at Fulham, he plays rubbish for the rest of the season. Basically, I’m not convinced.

James Platt


Top 4
1. Manchester United
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Manchester City

I think this one is really tough to call, particularly the number one spot. It’s pure guess work really but I’m going for Manchester United, simply because they didn’t win it last time around. And if Chelsea go far in the Champions League, that is going to grab their attention more than the Premiership. Depending on injuries, I can see Arsenal coming close again, but their squad remains thin and lacking quality in certain areas. Without signing a goalkeeper of real class (no, Lukasz Fabianski doesn’t count), they can’t win the league in my eyes. All the talk during the season will naturally centre on Manchester City and whilst they still haven’t been able to sign the very, very best players, they have added some pedigree talent. If and when they secure Mario Balotelli that could make a real difference, as he’s a seriously good player. I just don’t think they will have the discipline and experience to win the league though, but fourth place looks very achievable – Tottenham’s squad is likely to get stretched once the Champions League kicks off (which they are bound to get distracted by) and I don’t rate Liverpool at all.

Relegated
18. Wigan
19. Newcastle
20. Blackpool

They may prove us all wrong, but Blackpool look destined for that 20th position. I know Holloway will get the team fighting with a never-say-die attitude etc, etc, but the squad looks woefully thin and lacking in quality. I can’t see how they will score any goals. Newcastle also appear to lack genuine quality and I’m not convinced by Chris Hughton as a manager. They have got experience though, and I think they will come close to survival but just fall short. The final relegation place is tough to call – West Brom, Wolves and possibly even Stoke and Fulham could really struggle, but I’ve gone for Wigan. I like Roberto Martinez but there were worrying signs for his side last season (far too many embarrassing defeats) and they haven’t added anyone of note. I fear for them.

FA Cup Winners: Liverpool

I think Roy Hodgson will have his work cut out improving Liverpool’s 6th place finish last time out. I reckon he knows this too, and I can see Liverpool focussing on Cup competitions for some glory. It all really depends on Fernando Torres staying fit for more than three weeks at a time, but if he does, I can see Hodgson securing the Cup.

League Cup Winners: Chelsea

Chelsea are one of the few top sides who always seem to take this competition seriously, usually getting to the semis as a minimum. For that reason, I’m picking them. Not much more to add really.

Top Goalscorer: Wayne Rooney

With not many new and exciting forwards added to the league this year, I’m sure it will be the usual suspects battling for this one. It’s pretty hard to look beyond Didier Drogba, Wayne Rooney, Fernando Torres, Carlos Tevez and to be give him some credit, Darren Bent. If I thought Robin Van Persie could stay fit for the whole season, I might be inclined to pick him. Ditto Torres. But I don’t think either will. So I’m going for Rooney, with Drogba close behind.

Player to Watch: Michael Essien

Not a new face I know, but Michael Essien missed the large majority of last season, yet seems fully fit this time around. If he lasts the whole campaign, I don’t think you’ll see many better players. An injury-free Essien is one hell of a midfielder – incredible power and stamina, combined with underrated passing and shooting ability. He’ll dominate the centre circle given half a chance. Of the new boys, I really rate David Silva although with Manchester City you can’t be sure he’ll be used properly. I think Marouane Chamakh could be one to watch too – he looks a serious player.

The Manchester City Award for Over-Priced Signing of the Summer: Yaya Toure

Sorry to select the obvious sponsor’s favourite here, but it’s hard to look beyond Toure of the Yaya variety. I think he will prove to be a perfectly respectable Premiership player, but £24m? And a reported £200k a week?? I just don’t see Toure providing value for money at that price. Mind you, if James Milner is worth £30m…


No comments:

Post a Comment