Thursday 29 April 2010

Premiership Overrated XI

Are they really any good?

It’s that time of the season when awards are handed out, and “teams of the year” are selected.

So, in the words of Sky Sports, I’m going to “join in”; here is a quickly assembled Premiership Overrated XI, comprised of those players who seem to be regularly lauded yet aren’t all that good. Not everyone will necessarily agree.

GK: Mark Schwarzer

Ok, he’s had a great couple of years at Fulham, but is it only me who thinks this is more luck than judgment?! Schwarzer always looks surprised when the ball comes near him, and it tends to bounce off him rather than being saved. I know it’s harsh, but I wouldn’t want this guy in goal for my team.

RB: Micah Richards


Richards was a more obvious selection two years ago, when everyone thought he was the best defender around. To be fair, competing for the England right-back position with Gary Neville certainly helped… Big? Yes. Strong? Yes. Fast? Yes. Any sense of positioning, timing, composure, know-how, intelligence or general defensive ability… NO. NO. NO.

CB: Richard Dunne

This might not be a popular choice, but I genuinely think Dunne is overrated. Yes, he’ll look commanding for 85 minutes of a game, making telling blocks and tackles. Then he’ll give away a penalty, get sent off or score an own goal. Or sometimes even do all three.

CB: Michael Dawson

Dawson very much falls into the Richard Dunne category. Looks composed and solid for the majority of the game, then makes a horrendous error. He’s definitely improved over the last year, but I’m still not convinced. Plus, alongside Ledley King he always looks rubbish. And King has no knees and can’t train.

LB: Jlloyd Samuel

Not so much highly rated, but if you ask an average fan what they think of Samuel they will probably respond with something like “ok”, “not bad”, “decent pro”. I’m sorry, but that’s simply not true. Samuel is absolutely woeful. One of the worst players, in a quiet and unspectacular way, I’ve ever seen in any division. I can’t actually list a single attribute Samuel has. Any ideas….

RM (?): Joe Cole

To prove there’s no bias here, I’m including a Chelsea man. I like Joe Cole, and I really wish he was good. But he isn’t. For a start, he doesn’t have a position. He’s not a winger, not a striker and not a central midfielder. Yes, he can occasionally be creative and pull off a decent trick, but he drifts out of games regularly, can’t last 90 minutes, hardly ever scores and generally just doesn’t do very much.

CM: Tom Huddlestone

Give him lots of time and space, and Huddlestone can ping a majestic 50 yard pass. Put any sort of pressure on midfield and he crumbles. Huddlestone is obviously very good technically, but if he comes up against pace and energy he’s completely lost. He also looks fat. And is very, very slow. When Tottenham are beating Wigan 9-1 at home, Huddlestone looks good. That’s about the only time.

CM: Darren Fletcher

I’ve never liked Fletcher, and never will. I can fully admit that’s he a decent player, and a very useful squad man. But a place in the Premier League team of the year?? Whenever I watch Manchester United, all I see Fletcher do is foul people, whinge a lot, play some decent but unimaginative passes, run around, foul some more, shoot on target without power and then foul again. And for me, that does not make him a “world class” midfielder.

LM: Stuart Downing

Downing has one thing going for him – he’s left footed. That’s it. He’s not fast for a winger, nor does he possess any great skill or passing range. He’s simply a very average wide-man, certainly not worth £12m or a place in the England side.

ST: Roque Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz did have one very good season for Blackburn. But as far as I can see, that was his one and only good season since coming to Europe. Santa Cruz’s record at Bayern is average at the very best – he never got into double figures for goals in seven years. Plus he’s always injured. How Manchester City thought that warranted £17.5m I’m not quite sure.

ST: Emile Heskey


Admittedly Heskey isn’t broadly that rated, but the fact he’s given any sort of kudos as a centre forward is baffling. The man doesn’t score goals. It’s as basic as that. Critics always cite his teamwork and hold-up play as justification for this. I don’t think that cuts it. Strikers need to score goals – at least occasionally anyway. I’ve got nothing against Heskey personally, and I respect that he’s a “tryer”. But so are lots of other players – the type you see in the park on Sunday. And they don’t play for England.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, expect to see a few of these types of articles (teams/moments/games of the season etc.) over the next month as the seasons across Europe draw to a close, so stay tuned.

    Think you’re a little harsh on Fletcher (I mean, he is one of the best at committing niggly little fouls that break up play and moaning at ref’s) and I think that Dawson has been very good this season and deserves a lot of the plaudits he’s got. Looking round at fitness and form of other potential English centre backs, I reckon I’d take him to the World Cup.

    I digress, agree with pretty much all your other choices though. Dunne is an interesting one, all season long (and to be fair he’s been pretty decent this year) we’ve been told that City were mad to sell him but that glosses over the fact that last year he was absolutely dreadful, although I guess that was playing alongside Micah Richards who like you say is a) completely overrated and b) just not a very good footballer.

    Old Jlloyd is an interesting one, given as you say he’s not exactly rated that high by most people but the fact that this absolutely dreadful player still gets played at all makes him overrated in my book. A player I would definitely add is Morten Gamst-Pedersen who is basically rubbish but because every now and then he scores a screamer, people who just watch Match of the Day think he’s amazing.

    Enough of the hate though, this site is all about the love to, so how about this quick list of some unappreciated and underrated names...

    1. Jussi Jaaskelainen
    2. Habib Beye (underrated by Martin O’Neill, who never seems to play him)
    3. Andy Dawson
    4. Abdoulaye Faye
    5. Ryan Nelsen
    6. Mikel Arteta (I know a lot of people rate him, but I think since he’s come back from injury he has shown himself to be absolutely top draw)
    7. Steven Pienaar
    8. Danny Murphy
    9. Stephen Fletcher
    10. Yossi Benayoun
    11. Charles N’Zogbia

    Anymore people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll concede the comments on Darren Fletcher, but will have to stay strong and disagree with you on Dawson! He's a decent player for Tottenham, but I really don't think he's international quality.

    Back to the positives though - how about adding the following to the underrated list:

    Aaron Hughes (he’s had a brilliant season for Fulham)
    Roger Johnson
    David Dunn (I didn’t previously rate him but he’s been very good for Blackburn recently)
    Ricardo Fuller (very similar to the above comment about Dunn)
    Maynor Figueroa

    ReplyDelete