Thursday 11 February 2010

Dream Team - second edition


Featuring everyone's favourite Italian...

Here’s my Dream Team, selected in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Explanations on why each player has been chosen are below. Whilst I completely respect legends of the game from previous eras, my team is based on players which I’ve seen play a fair amount, either live or on television. I’ve also tried to pick a side which could realistically (as realistic as a Dream Team is) play together – i.e. an appropriate formation, and not a team of seven strikers.

GK. Gianluigi Buffon

If Petr Cech hadn’t been cruelly kneed in the skull by a horrible Irish winger, he may well have taken this slot in my side. However, I’m more than happy with the alternative choice – Gianluigi Buffon, who has been a top, top goalkeeper for a number of years. Ever since his debut at 17 for Parma, Buffon has been a superb stopper. Strong with crosses, imperious at one-on-ones and the ability to make spectacular saves, what has really impressed me most about Buffon is his consistency. Any keeper can make a great stop, but it’s the ones who do it regularly, and rarely make a mistake, that are the best. And Buffon is certainly one of those.

RB. Lilian Thuram

An immense defender, comfortable at centre or right back – for my team, the Frenchman has been slotted into the right full-back role, a position he regularly excelled in. Thuram was immensely strong, yet so smooth and composed. What I always loved about Thuram was that he rarely needed to go to ground – he was always in control. And that also meant he never got booked. A CV including 142 French caps, World Cup and European Championship winners’ medals, and spells with Monaco, Parma, Juventus and Barcelona isn’t bad either.

LB. Paolo Maldini

Not a particularly hard one to justify – 25 seasons with Milan, 126 caps for Italy, seven Serie As and five Champions Leagues, and one of the greatest defenders of all time. Oh, and he spoke perfect English even though he’d never lived in the UK. Pure class.

CB. Fabio Cannavaro

The only defender to win the World Player of the Year award has got to be in with a shout for any team. And I’ve duly selected Cannavaro, more from what I’ve personally witnessed however, despite his impressive resume. Although only 5 ft 9in tall, Cannavaro is capable of bossing any centre forward. Incredibly strong, quick and with a remarkable leap, Cannavaro makes defending look like an art. It may be an obvious citation, but his performance in Italy’s successful 2006 World Cup campaign almost warrants selection in itself. You’ll do well to find a better display of defending on the biggest stage possible.

CB. John Terry

Terry might be something of a reprobate off the pitch, but I’m primarily concerned about what happens on it – and I’ve never seen a better captain than John Terry. What a man to have on your team. Terry puts his head in anywhere, never gives up, always talks to his teammates and is extremely consistent. He’s unbelievable in the air, reads the game magnificently, has perfect positional play, pops up with a decent amount of goals for a defender and is also a very good footballer, who plays with both feet. Two Premierships, three FA Cups, two League Cups and surely more silverware to follow. Ok, so he can’t take a penalty, but what more could you want from a centre back?

DM. Marcel Desailly

A tremendous player, comfortable in both midfield and defence, Desailly simply oozed elegance. For my side, I’ve gone back to Desailly’s Milan days, drafting the powerful Frenchman into a defensive midfield role. Desailly could do the ugly things, but he could also play. The first man to win the Champions League in consecutive seasons with different clubs (Marseille and Milan), Desailly is a real legend of the game.

DM. Patrick Vieira

It really, really pains me to take this decision, but Vieira has to make my side. The midfielder, in his prime, defined the phrase “running midfield”. I’d watch games and (through gritted teeth) marvel at how Vieira could control proceedings with ease. Tall and strong, yet graceful in possession, Vieira bossed the Premiership throughout his nine year spell with Arsenal, helping himself to three Premier Leagues and four FA Cups. There were times when Vieira would brush off three or four challenges, and with players seemingly hanging from his coattails, effortlessly launch a swift counter attack. I may not have enjoyed it much at the time, but for dominating the battleground of the Premier League for so many years, Vieira deserves his selection.

AM. Zinedine Zidane

Quite simply the greatest footballer I’ve personally seen play the game. Pure poetry in motion and I’d probably select him for that volleyed goal in the 2002 Champions League final alone.

AM. Francesco Totti

I know this won’t be a popular choice – English pundits have always detested Totti and let’s not forget Ron Atkinson’s detailed analysis either – “never liked that Totti. Looks like a tw@t.” Well, if my view differs from that of big Ron, so be it. When I watched Roma win the Serie A title in 2001, Totti was phenomenal. Wonderful technique, great range of skills, brilliant passing, plenty of goals and an inspirational captain. Totti almost singlehandedly won Roma that title. The fact he has never really gone on from there actually suggests he has a lot more substance than some give him credit for – Totti has spurned several opportunities to leave precisely because of a fierce loyalty towards Roma, the team he has supported all his life. Say what you like, but in my opinion Francesco is top Totti, and one of very few players that I'd make the time to watch, even if I didn't fancy the game itself.

AM. Rivaldo

Perhaps not an obvious selection, but Rivaldo was some player. I remember watching him warm up when Chelsea played Barcelona in the Champions League in 2000 and my jaw was on the floor. Just those skills in the warm up were worth the entry fee alone. The bow-legged Brazilian was a classy forward, who won the World Cup in 2002, and was World Player of the Year and European Footballer of the Year in 1999. He also scored the best hat-trick I’ve ever seen for Barcelona against Valencia in 2001, in a game which really mattered.

ST. Marco van Basten

Van Basten was coming to the end of his (sadly) short career when I began taking a real interest in football, but the couple of years which I did see were more than enough. What a player and how cruel that his career was cut down in his prime. Van Basten has a ridiculous CV (three times European Footballer of the Year, World Player of the Year, a European Championship, two Champions Leagues…need I go on) and scored probably my favourite goal of all time in Euro ‘88. So many times I tried to re-enact that volley with my friends down the park. And so many times I failed… No one could finish like Van Basten.

Substitutes: Peter Schmeichel, Cafu, Alessandro Nesta, Luis Figo, Alessandro Del Piero, Gabriel Batistuta, Ronaldo

No comments:

Post a Comment